Art is Normal
When the idea of personal growth crosses my mind, I often link growth to people’s surrounding environments. Our environment plays such an important role in the way we grow as people both mentally and physically. With that being said, it is wise to look at what makes up that environment and see if it encompasses the very things that will lead to this personal growth. Having had the opportunity to pursue art as a major at Illinois State University, I now have more of an understanding of the major role art should play within our communities. I have grown to see how art of all forms have the ability to work with environments and more specifically work to encourage the people within those environments. It may seem as though people have needs that are far too difficult to please, but it is remarkable how effortlessly art zeros in on those needs and aid in the process of restoration.
I have been living in the town of Normal, Il. for a little over 3 years now and I have seen how there is an overwhelming void of art on display in and around the area. Currently, and for the past couple of years, I have been both a college student at the local university (Illinois State University) and an active citizen of the community. I have seen how important it is to work with my surrounding environment in hopes of not only encouraging growth for myself but more importantly for the greater community. Given Normal’s ample amount of resources, it only makes sense to funnel those resources back into the community. Civic art is one specific example of ways in which to utilize an abundance of resources. Our vibrant community is made of many capable individuals and groups that have the means to execute this specific project.
Community murals are a perfect way to express the many ideas/stages that Normal is facing at this time. There are so many things that can be expressed through the use of paints and a blank canvas. For the past couple of years the people of Normal have been exposed to an overwhelming amount of construction and are due for a change of scenery. Luckily there are many buildings within the business district that have ample space to house different sized murals and other forms of civic art. After speaking with many influential people in the community, it is clear that this opportunity is quite feasible and the idea has been long overdue for some time now. I am looking forward to working diligently on the execution of this plan and I am anxious to see how the people of this community will take this proposal and run with it. Please feel free to email me if you have any suggestions or questions.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment